Well, I am about to try my first quick takes. Here goes..
1. I've been previewing books for an Easter Sunday book give away at church. The first book I read was Jesus Shock by Peter Kreeft. It is an intense short book that reflects on the power of the name of Jesus. I enjoyed the book more after I read it as passages and phrases flashed through my mind. It affirms the power of the Eucharist and especially perpetual adoration which we are so blessed to have at our church. I think it may be too intense for the Christmas/Easter Catholics who we are targeting with this give away.
2. The second book I read was Made for More, by Curtis Martin. This book has a gentle flow in contrast to the intensity of Jesus Shock. It seems much more appealing to a large audience. As the title suggests, we are made for more than the world tells us. We will only find peace when we affirm our place in God's plan and his everlasting love for us.
3. On to entertainment, I watched the Temple Grandin movie last week. It is a story about her life with Autism and how she succeeded in a world that didn't always understand her. My favorite quote from the movie is, "different, not less." We all have gifts to share. If you're looking for entertainment, I found this at the library.
4. On the home front, we are slowly making our path through lent. My children and I are participating in the Lenten Adventure at www.holyheroes.com Last night the boys and I prayed the rosary. We started with the sorrowful mysteries reflection and first decade and finished ourselves. It was very intimate and sweet as my little one said he felt very sad for Jesus.
5. Our focus for Lent is 1 Corinthians 13-this week we are trying not to be clanging gongs, but to be patient and loving. I'm focusing more on the doing than the giving up this lent in hopes that hearts will be changed especially my own.
6. I'm getting ready to run the Everybody Counts program at my children's school. It is a Disability Awareness program that runs through grades k-6. A God whisper has shown me a new resource for the program, the Joseph Maley Foundation. I am encouraged because it looks like we will be able to make the program even more meaningful for our students. Here I thought I would be stepping back, and this new avenue opened.
7. Finally, it's a big weekend for our high school kids. It's Destination Jesus weekend. Over 700 hundred students and adults will be gathering at our high school for this wonderful program. My daughters will both be attending and my husband is going to be working security. I'm praying for all the participants to make Jesus their final destination.
No comments:
Post a Comment